Wednesday, February 18, 2009

c'mon Mcafee, I don't want to go back to Norton

Actually, I'll probably just go with Grisoft's AVG.

So here's a weird thing. I have a client who's laptop keeps BSOD'ing with a 0x0000000F4 Error (there may have been some extra zero's). He kept telling me that Windows was blaming McAfee every time he rebooted from a BSOD. Well, I decided it wasn't McAfee because I saw a lot of things pointing F4 errors as relating to the Hard Drive. Now I realize the guy is right. I captured one of the minidump's (windows error reports when the system crashes) and analyzed them with windows debugger, a neat little tool if you've never done it before. The minidump is here if you want to take a looksee. The minidump points to mfehidk.sys, a Mcafee file that apparently is included with Active VirusScan 8.5.

Now, here's the weird (and very frustrating) part. I used McAfee's management console on the client's server to uninstall VirusScan 8.5. And the error still happened! If there's one thing that I hate, it's programs that don't *!%&#ing uninstall correctly. And I realize now that I have encountered this before when I was trying out VirusScan 8.5 without the management part. It seemed to leave behind the autoupdater as well as the Outlook scanner .dll's.

I'm exhausted now, so the problem won't get fixed til' tomorrow. But I just wanted to rant a bit.

No comments: